Sunday, June 22, 2014

Hike #42 Scarlett Canyon Phoenix AZ

Hike #42


Date: June 22, 2014 
Location: Phoenix AZ
Hikers: Me 

Directions:  
Get to AZ-101 North from either 51N or I17N to AZ-101. Get off AZ-101 at Exit 28/CaveCreek Road and head North.    At the first light take a left on Rose Garden Lane.  Park in the Cul de Sac at the dead end. 
No Water or Restrooms. Parking limited.  

Scarlett Canyon Trail Head: 
There is NO trail map for this area.  Some refer to it when they talk about the Sonoran Preserve but it is not on any trail map.  This is basically a neighborhood area.  There are no trail markers at all but the trails look used from the bike tire marks and foot prints. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+Rose+Garden+Ln/@33.6782054,-112.0360088,516m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x872b703a57d00c1f:0x5b51df424a861936





















I have new hiking boots and have not dared wear them on the long hikes.  I woke up early and thought I would venture close to the house.  I had seen that one of the hiking groups had recently done a night hike at Scarlett Canyon and they rated it Intermediate so I figured I could do this alone and not be concerned that I was hiking alone.  Too hot for my four legged friend.

Oboz bought at Hiking Shack
I hit the trail at 5:30 AM.  No one at the parking area and all I could hear were a couple roosters and howling.  Not sure what it was because it did not sound like Coyotes and this is really city hiking.

The trail definitely had no markings.  There were some sandy spots and you could see bike marks.  I just decided to stay low and look for ups.  Being alone I would do NO bushwhacking or any not clear if it is a trail area.  If I walked flat it was no big deal because we hiked the Gateway yesterday.

I immediately looked for a way to go up these rocks.  It is really interesting how different the terrain is even from the East Side to the West Side of this small mountain.

I did not find a clear up so I headed North on the East side while I watched the sun rise.  The view of the McDowells is always beautiful and then of course I started thinking "I hiked those and I hiked that". SWEEET....



Sunrise over a small hill on the hike



Sunrise over the McDowells












Did I say SWEEET....Well that changed quickly.  SOUR is more like it.  This hike STINKs.  For Real.  I could smell garbage. I was thinking the dump is on 7th street but I am far from that.  There were buildings to the East and I saw City of Phoenix signs so figured it was a plant of some sort.  Later on I discovered the culprit.








I continued in a north direction, still trying to find an up.  Once I hit the lack of a trail my inner voice says "Don't do it".

Huge boulders are on this trail. You can see where they started and rolled down the hill. Who knows how long ago.





You can see that the path is wide and lots of bikers have been on it.  But the strange thing is I have not see a soul.  Not one person and I have been walking a couple miles.

Then I see the reason the smell is bad.  Dump Trucks.  All parked in rows.  It is not the City of Phoenix trucks. It is another waste management trucking company.  I am ready to either head up or go to the west side of the hill.


I head up on to a trail that looks like it may be used to get to the tower.  I am with my hiking companion.  ME!  I go up for a while but then the trail changes and I decided to go back down because I am not sure how I will get to around to the other side.



The whole area changes.  I am walking parrallel with Deer Valley Road.  I think the guy that was wearing these sneakers might be buried in that hole.  HA HA.

These sneakers are old and are from the 80s!




I hit the far North side heading towards 7th Street.  I can see the balloons taking off from the North.  They are a little late for the sunrise.  I came upon some friendly Cairns.  Not sure why, it is clear where to go.

I am now traveling South on the West side of the Mountains.  It is nice and shady. Temperature is great.  80ish.  I come up on the housing development that is located north of the 101 on 16th street.  It is a cute area.  I almost feeling like I am in Scottsdale.  The terrain has changed completely from the East side of this Mountain area.


I finally see a person.  A lady in her PJ's getting the newspaper from the driveway. She give me a look and that was it.  Where is everyone? I see footprints.  So far this is a cool hike and I just keep going because I know at some point I can go up!!


I find a rocky road that will take me up to a saddle between two summits. One has a tower that looks like an oversized Frisbee Golf Goal.  Up gets my heart beating..Finally!  I head North to the Tower Summit.  I like this. The rocks have changed again and it is fun.  Who knew this was so close to me and still I have not seen one hiker.  No Good Mornings Exchanged.


My views from almost the top are great.  To the South I see all my favorite mountains.  Lookout, North Mountain and Shaw Butte.  Not counted on this journey cuz we hike them too often.  I can see the trails and wonder how many people are up there and have no clue this exists.  Crazy!

Almost to the tower.  I could not see this tower from the East side but I can see now there must be a trail on that side. Maybe next time.


 This tower lights up at night.  The Deer Valley Airport is a stone throw from here and as I have hiked the small plans have been overhead.  



I thought I found a geo cache that was attached to the fence but then I look at it is a bike bell.  

LOL  All you bikers need this.  
DING DING!
 It works.  











My view from the top looking to the North. Tina ~ There is our Elephant in the distance.  To the South you can clearly see all the City mountains.






I am going to head down and go up the smaller summit.  As I come back down the second summit I see this RoadRunner siting on the rock.  I tried to get closer to get a better picture but he saw me and started moving around.  He was cute.  He was all about me though so he did not stick around for long.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_roadrunner


I tried to hike down the East side between the saddles but quickly found there was no distinct trail.  Not being stupid today.  I climbed back up and headed back down the road I came.  I have been out here almost 1 hour and 1/2.  Just exploring.  I pulled out my apple and ate it as I walked down.  I still have not seen another person.

I hit the bottom and take the bike path to the south knowing I just need to hug the South side of the mountain and it will loop be back to the East.

I finally see a person.  A guy walking his two dogs.  Must live in the neighborhood.  I keep walking and make it back to the start.  Huge Surprise there are no other cars.  REALLY?  I loved this hike.  I got a little bit of everything and somehow I entertained myself for 2 hours.  And even though it is going to be 106 today. If you get out early you can enjoy the summer and still get exercise.







 I love looking at my GPS when I go on these hikes that aren't clear.  You can see several times I tried to go UP!! Then I finally found it in the center.  I will be back here again. I will bring Jim and Tina back here.

Check it OFF!
Hike #42! 


1 comment:

  1. Your review of 42 is the only one I have seen but it is very well done and makes me want to visit the area.

    ReplyDelete