Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hike #23 - Deem Hill #2 Phoenix AZ

Hike #23

Date: March 15, 2014
Location: Deem Hill, Phoenix AZ
Hikers: Me

Directions:  I-17 North to the Happy Valley Road exit. West on Happy Valley road (left) and drive to signed 35th avenue. Turn right here. This road briefly becomes Pocono Way. When you reached the signed junction with Pinnacle Vista drive, turn left. This road will become 39th ave. The road will abruptly turn right. After driving a few hundred yards, look for the trailhead and small parking area on 
your left.   
http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/deemhills/index.html 


I am back to Deem Hill where I completed my second hike of 50, 5 months ago.  This time I am alone.  All my hiking buddies are busy and Stroodel is home recovering.  I still feel bad about yesterday.  She has to keep the bandages on for 3 days.  Although one is in process of being eaten off. 

Any way. My plan today is to do the South Circumference to some upper trail (Balsalt or Palisades) and then either head up Ridge Trail or back around the Circumference.  It is a new hike and I will see where it takes me. 

I decided that I would start researching the history of where I am hiking.  When I am alone I look more at the terrain and think about things so I thought. Wonder why the rocks look this way or why the trail is named this.  Well here is my first attempt at Mountain/Hill history. I took this from the phoenix city site.  

The Deem Hills are composed mostly of ancient Precambrian granite and other Tertiary age volcanic rocks, dating from nearly 2 billion years ago.  During this time, rock fractures appeared where dark lava called basalt flowed and gave Deem Hills its characteristic black rock formations.  In fact, much of this hilly area west of I-17 is comprised of the same basalt rock.  A new train in the Deem Hills trail system is named Basalt Trail.  The name Deem Hills can be traced back to 1922.  At that time, Dennis and Carl Deem began homesteading 160 acres southwest of the hills. 

Deem Hills make up almost 1,000 acres of Arizona Upland vegetation.  The area showcases a variety of vegetation such as sugars, barrel cacti, brittle bush, hackberry, ocotillo, palo verde trees, creosote, globe mallow, and buckhorn cholla; just to name a few.

I started out early afternoon vs early morning. There were only 2 other cars in the parking lot. SWEET.  For those that hike the heavy populated trails in the valley you really should try some of these.  There are less people and you can get a work out.  Run up or down, make it what you need.  


I took the circumference trail to the left of the Ramada.  I continued on that til I saw Basalt.  I hesitated but wanted a longer hike so I stayed left on the circumference. About 1 mile in I hit Palisades.  I took that right and headed up the mountain.  It is very gradual.  It is very interesting how the terrain changes.  It goes from light sand not a lot of vegetation to Cholla land to dark molten rock to cool orange bushes.  
I really like this area.  


Palisades intersects with Basalt, I see a side trail that takes you to a rocky area.  I stopped for a rest and took a picture to the South.  
You can see "Wet n Wild" slides in the distance (the colorful slides to the left) and Thunderbird Mountain to the right.  I know those trails are packed.  I have seen 1 biker and 4 people so far. 

















I headed down Balsalt to where a lot of trails intersect and I have many options.  It is cool from the top because you can see all the different trails to the West. 
 Once I get down to the bottom you see the Trail marker for your options.  At this point I have gone 3 miles so I decide to take the circumference with should put me at 4.5 when done.  





I hit the Circumference trail back up and head down to the South and then to the East.  That will take me 1 mile to get back to where I first branched off to Palisades.  This trail runs close to the housing development next to Sandra Day O'conner school.  I can hear people in their houses.  


There was a spot where all these orange bushes and cholla were in one spot.  Maybe next week I start learning more about the cactus and bush names.  BORING!! 

It was sunny and very breezy today.  For 2:00 pm it was not too hot but the sun does get intense.  Especially when you are wearing black.  

It was a great hike.  I made it back to the Ramada and talked to someone getting ready to take their two dogs hiking.  We talked about how nice it was to be alone on the trails.  The hike was a little less than 5 miles and took me about 1 hour and 22 minutes. 



Hike #23 Done- Check it Off! 
Tomorrow is the White Tanks Mountain with Jim in the West Valley. Should be great. This is part of the Maricopa Regional parks and since Jim bought a pass we better get our money's worth out of it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment