Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hike #10 - Thunderbird Park - Glendale AZ

Hike #10

Date: January 12, 2014 
Location:  Thunderbird Park Glendale, AZ
Hikers: Jim & Linda 


Directions: I17N to Pinnacle Peak Road.  Head West to 59th Ave.  Parking is on the South Side.    

http://www.glendaleaz.com/parksandrecreation/thunderbirdpark.cfm


I have heard about Thunderbird Park for years but never hiked it.  Last week I drove past the parking lot when I went to my Mom's house and saw how busy it was at 11:30 in the morning.  I decided it was time to try it out.  Plus I have to get hiking again and everyone is freaking out that I won't get to 50 by September.  Don't worry!!

Today Jim and I decided to hike up H1 Trail to the top and then head down H2.  I believe these trails have been formally named now and you can see that on the web link above. Arrowhead Point & Part of CoachWhip.

 We started the hike at 7:30.  It was an overcast morning but very nice. 48 degrees so not too chilly.  There were already several people on the trail.  


We followed H1 up and then hit the junction where you can head up on H1 or to the West on H2. We decided to take H1 up and come down H2.  The view back to the North was very pretty as the Sun was rising.  

At the junction you start heading up.  It is a gradual incline. Some rock stepping but nothing severe.  This is a good hike for a beginner.  As we climb towards the top you can see an American Flag.


At the top is a pile of rocks that holds the American Flag.  It is quite a sight to see.  
Very AMERICAN!!  

Jim resting at the Top
View to the East as the Sun Rises
 So, this is where I remember that I forgot to set my mapmyhike. I must be out of practice.  At the top I set it.

So...my hike gets a little more interesting now.  As Jim and I are walking down he bumps his foot on a rock and goes flying. OMG. I freak out.  He tries to adjust and catch himself but too late.  Luckily he took the fall with his hands more than direct body.  I though he hit his head but he did some flip motion and landed on his back.  BLOOD gushing...Well dripping.  He cut open his hand but thank goodness he did not hit his head or knee.  He will be sore for a few days.  Falling while hiking is dangerous and hard on the body.

Our hike was approximately 1 hour.  It was a little over 3 miles per the map.  Next time I will remember to turn on my app.  


One man down! Number 10 done.  
I am on my way.  
40 more to go! 
Piece of Cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment