Monday, September 22, 2014

The Year Recap - 50 Hikes in My 50th Year!!


South Rim September 11, 2014

It all started with an Idea.  In September of 2013 Julio and I hiked in Sedona at The Crack/Bell Trail.
I was turning 50 in April 2014 and wanted a Goal.  Something that would keep me motivated to hike and stay in shape.   I came up with the idea of 50 NEW hikes.  The final hike with be the Grand Finale - Rim2Rim in One day for the final time.

Statistics:
  • I hiked: 305 miles in 50 NEW hikes (RIM2RIM was not NEW)
  • I hiked in 3 different States. Arizona, New Hampshire & Hawaii
  • I hiked with Family, Friends and dogs
  • I hiked in groups
  • I hiked alone
The Good/The Bad/The Ugly:
  • Toughest Hike = Siphon Draw/Flat Iron #31
  • Favorite Hike = West Fork Sedona #5
  • Will Go Back Hikes = Mesquite White Tanks in Fall. #12 Wave Cave #33 to get that picture
  • Most Memorable Hike = Grand Canyon Rim2Rim #50
Things I learned about hiking:
  • Research your hikes. There is a lot of information on the internet. Google state sites, trip reports and blogs
  • Bring the trip report/maps with you
  • MapMyHike is a good tool for tracking where you hike
  • Use MapMyHike when not sure the route
  • Use AllTrails to find Hikes.  Click on Nearby Route when you are near a mountain or hill. Someone has been there before you. 
  • Carry a FLASHLIGHT! No Matter what time of day you hike!
  • Water - You can never have too much in the Arizona Summer
  • Electrolytes are easy to carry. Bring them as snacks in your camelback
  • Change your socks
  • Know your limits
  • Check your Dogs feet
  • Always carry a cell phone
  • It's not always about your physical shape, it is about your nutrition on a hike
  • Train and Train some more if you are doing Rim2Rim in one day. (altitude, hills & heat can be deadly)

Things I learned about myself:
  • I like to plan
  • I like to research
  • I am a control freak
  • I trust my gut 
  • I don't like when I can't do something
  • I am pretty good in crisis situations
  • Your age is just a number
  • I have great friends. Hikers & Non-Hikers
  • I have an amazing family that puts up with me
  • I have an amazing supportive husband 
  • I DONT LIKE SNAKES or LIZARDS! (who knew)
  • Sleep is overrated
  • Sunsets are worth getting up to see
  • QT after a hike is one of my all time favorite things in the world.
  • I like blogging
  • Arizona has so many amazing places to see (still lots on my list)
  • Anything you think you can do you can probably do even more
  • If I write it down I will do it

Thanks for reading and being a part of this journey.  I have joked that in my 51st year I will create a new goal. Right now there is nothing with any driving force.  For now I will go back to hiking and hanging.

Enjoy some pictures!  
Blog Done!
Check it off!! 










































Find a Path and Take it for a Ride!









No comments:

Post a Comment